Well, it’s finally February. By now, most of us are likely itching for warmer weather, yearning to shed some layers, and escape the indoors where we are shielding ourselves from the bitter cold. But alas, winters in the bold north are predictably unpredictable and there’s a pretty good chance we’ll see snow in April. So instead of feeling restless and confined, cure that cabin fever by making the most of what’s left of glorious winter. That means get outdoors and hit the slopes at Lutsen Mountains Ski Resort! Especially now that they have 15″ of fresh snow from the recent snowstorm.
Featured: Humble Apparel Co. BWCA Sunset Wilderness T-Shirt | BWCA Teal Stocking Cap
Earlier this month, a group of close friends and I decided we needed a winter escape. Cue Lutsen Mountains. Check out my video above to get a glimpse of my visit. It’s the biggest ski place in the Midwest with four mountains and nearly 100 runs. It’s also home to Eagle Ridge Resort — lodging with spectacular lake and mountain views just steps away from the ski resort.
Now here are are five reasons why I think Lutsen Mountains is your perfect cure for cabin fever:
1. IT'S A ONE-STOP-SHOP DESTINATION FOR YOUR DREAM WINTER GETAWAY
- The drive from the Twin Cities is easy and scenic. The North Shore is a destination of its own. There’s plenty to do and see on the way to Lutsen Mountains. Stop by one of our many state parks and enjoy a hike!
- From lodging, to equipment rental, nearly 100 runs, trails, and good beer and food — you’ll find it all at the resort. Be sure to check out Papa Charlie’s for food and live music.
- It’s great value compared to other ski resorts out west!
2. THE VIEWS ARE PHENOMENAL
- You are not only surrounded by mountains, but also a 100-mile stretch of Lake Superior and the majestic Superior National Forest. The scenery alone will force you out of cabin fever.
3. THE GONDOLA RIDE IS EVERYTHING
- The eight passenger gondola takes you from the bottom of the mountain to the Summit Chalet.
- The ride up and down the mountain is an excursion of it’s own. If you choose not to snowboard or ski, do the gondola for sure! Again, the views are ridiculously gorgeous. I literally teared up while looking at all of the pines, the snow covered mountains, and a glistening Lake Superior nearby.
- Once you are at the Summit Chalet, grab a local brew, hot cocoa, or some food and enjoy the wrap around balcony or the fireplace.
4. NEW AMENITIES THIS WINTER!
- If you’re lodging at Eagle Ridge Resort at Lutsen Mountains, you have access to their brand new outdoor hot tub and heated pool, sauna, and fitness center — all surrounded by mountain views.
- Chilling in a hot tub with friends in the middle of a winter wonderland, surrounded by beautiful outdoor scenery? What more can you ask for?
5. THE OWNERS CARE ABOUT INVESTING IN LUTSEN MOUNTAINS.
- Since 2010, the families who own and operate the resort have “borrowed and reinvested more than $15 million in the ski area,” according to their website. That means updated amenities, equipment, and experience.
- In 2015, the new Doppelmayr gondola was added, which can be used in the summer too!
- Lutsen Mountains also proposed expanding the ski area to lands adjacent to existing runs.
Here are some more photos to show you some of my favorite parts of our visit: